Below are fantastic links from Dale Blahna who is a social scientist with the USFS locally. I’m sure there is a lot here to work with to make the case for/steward/protect trees.
- New “Financing Urban Tree Canopy Programs” guide and case stories – Chesapeake Tree Canopy Network
- USDA Forest Service Announces Availability of Updated Public Awareness Products .
- A Site Index for Urban Trees – Tree Fund product in the works by Bryant Scharenbroch.
- To fight pollution China reassigns 60,000 soldiers to plant trees. – Independent News
- Wildlife make a Plea for Urban Trees – National Wildlife Federation
- Planting trees is smart for cities – The Nature Conservancy
- Dry Times Drought Impact on Urban Trees – NOAA
- Urban Tree Cover Saves The U.S. Up To $12 Billion Annually – Forbes
- Urban trees grow fast, die young – PLOSone (important to maintain what you have!!)
- Humans are making droughts worse – Nature and USA Today
- Fridays for Future – More than a million young people held climate strikes last month
- Campbell, Lindsay K.; Svendsen, Erika; Sonti, Nancy Falxa; Hines, Sarah J.; Maddox, David. 2019. Green readiness, response, and recovery: a collaborative synthesis. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-18x. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service.
- Lerman, Susannah B.; D’Amico, Vincent. 2019. Lawn mowing frequency in suburban areas has no detectable effect on Borrelia spp. vector Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae). PLOS ONE
- Warren, Paige S.; Lerman, Susannah B.; Andrade, Riley ; Larson, Kelli L.; Bateman, Heather L. 2019. The more things change: species losses detected in Phoenix despite stability in bird-socioeconomic relationships. Ecosphere
- Lerman, Susannah B.; Contosta, Alexandra R. 2019. Lawn mowing frequency and its effects on biogenic and anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions. Landscape and Urban Planning
- Lerman, Susannah B.; King, David I; Arendt, Wayne ; Paulina María M., ; Paulino, Luis R. 2019. Mourning dove nest on a Palmchat colony in urban Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The Urban Naturalist. 24: 1-5.
- Steenberg, James W.N.; Millward, Andrew A.; Nowak, David J.; Robinson, Pamela J.; Smith, Sandra M. 2019. A social-ecological analysis of urban tree vulnerability for publicly-owned trees in a residential neighborhood.
- Domke, Grant M.; Walters, Brian F.; Nowak, David J.; Smith, James ; Ogle, Stephen M.; Coulston, John W. 2019. Greenhouse gas emissions and removals from forest land and urban trees in the United States, 1990-2017.
- Nowak, David J. 2019. The atmospheric system: Air quality and greenhouse gases.
- Nowak, David J.; Aevermann, Tim . 2019. Tree compensation rates: Compensating for the loss of future tree values.
- Biedenweg, Kelly ; Williams, Katherine ; Cerveny, Lee ; Styers, Diane . 2019. Is recreation a landscape value : Exploring underlying values in landscape values mapping.
- Baur, Joshua W.R.; Cerveny, Lee . 2019. Social impacts of homelessness and long-term occupancy on national forests and grasslands: A national study of U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers.
- Mockrin, Miranda H.; Locke, Dexter H.; Stewart, Susan I; Hammer, Roger B.; Radeloff, Volker C. 2019. Forests, houses, or both Relationships between land cover, housing characteristics, and resident socioeconomic status across ecoregions.
- Kondo, Michelle ; De Roos, Anneclaire ; White, Lauren ; Heilman, Warren ; Mockrin, Miranda ; Gross-Davis, Carol ; Burstyn, Igor . 2019. Meta-Analysis of Heterogeneity in the Effects of Wildfire Smoke Exposure on Respiratory Health in North America.
- Fishler, Hillary K.; Mockrin, Miranda H.; Stewart, Susan I. 2019. Response and future readiness: Vegetation mitigation after destructive wildfire.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Emery, Marla R.; Schmitz, Marissa . 2019. Maple Syrup Producers of the Lake States, USA: Attitudes Towards and Adaptation to Social, Ecological, and Climate Conditions.
- Frey, Gabriel ; Emery, Marla R.; Greenlaw, Suzanne . 2019. Weaving together livelihood and culture in Maine, USA.
Public Health Findings –
- Dr. Kathleen Wolf – Urban Nature and Human Health (presented on April 11)
- TNC and NASA – The Value of US Urban Tree Cover for Reducing Heat-related Health Impacts
Citizen Science Articles –
- David Maddox – Ecosystems for Everyone: Building Shared Vocabularies, Based on Values (presented April 17) Click here to view the recorded presentation
Location: Minneapolis, MN -September 30-October 1
Deadline: June 28
Dates: June 16-19
Location: Syracuse, NY
Deadline: July 12
Groundwork USA Announces Call for Letters of Interest – apply for your city to become the next Groundwork partner
Deadline: July 31
Deadline: September 25
Information above thanks to :